Ridgeland, MS. – Several high school students received scholarships for their presentations at the Live, Breathe and Smile (LBS) Competition held on May 12, 2021 at Delta Technical College (DTC)’s Ridgeland, MS campus.
Students competed by creating a visual aid on the unhealthy effects smoking has on physical and/or oral health. The projects were displayed and judged during the event. All participants received a $500 DTC scholarship, but the top prizes went to the winners of the competition.
Congratulations to the winners:
- First Place: Desire Stokes of Ridgeland High School; awarded a $2,000 DTC scholarship.
- Second Place: India Watkins of Callaway High School; awarded a $1,500 DTC scholarship.
- Third Place: Skyler Byrd of Pisgah High School; awarded a $1,000 DTC scholarship.
The LBS Competition is intended to provide financial assistance to help offset tuition and additional costs associated with allied health career training programs.
Campus President of DTC’s Ridgeland campus, Dr. Matthew Pummel, described this year’s competition:
“All the competitors showed creativity in their projects and demonstrated an interest in healthcare. This field requires a passion for helping others to be healthier. DTC aims to provide the hands-on training students need to enter the workforce, and we hope these scholarships help those who plan to pursue this career path to earn an education that will help them to take the first step toward their career goals.”
Highlights of the competition included:
- Meet and greet with Campus President, program instructors and other staff and faculty members
- Family-friendly fun, including music, food, and beverages
- Breakout sessions led by lab instructors, including demos and Q&A
- Campus tours of our allied health programs
- Opportunity to meet with Admissions and Financial Aid
DTC’s allied health programs provide students the skills and hands-on training geared to meet the demands of today’s employers. The goal is for students to gain entry-level employment in the allied health field, including positions such as a medical assistant, dental assistant, or other allied health professional.