This program will provide the Medical Coding Specialist knowledge for minimum entry level positions normally available in offices of physicians, nursing care facilities, outpatient care centers, and home health services. Insurance firms that deal with health matters also employ Medical Coders. Students will be instructed in the analysis of medical records (charts) and the assignment of codes for indexing diagnoses and procedures to provide information for reimbursement purposes. “Coding” means transforming the written or verbal description of diseases, injuries, and procedures into numerical designations.
*Not all Programs and Courses are available at all of the campuses
- CPT & Modifiers
- Office Skills & Coding
- Administration & Coding
- Insurance Guidelines & Coding
- Insurance Claims & Coding
- Employment Prep and Certification & Externship
*Modules can be taken in any order; however, Medical Coding Externship will always be taken last by the student.
- Length: 36 weeks (9 months)
- Hours: 765 clock hours which includes 225 externship hours / 135 additional outside clock hours
- Credits: 26.5 semester credits
- Delta Tech is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools & Colleges (ACCSC).
- Delta Tech is approved by the United States Department of Education to participate in the Federal Financial Aid Program.
Medical Coding Careers
Medical Coding Specialists typically work a 40 hour week. The working conditions are generally pleasant and comfortable offices. This is one of the few health occupations in which there is little contact with patients. Accuracy for the medical coder is essential. Close attention to detail is a large part of what will make the coder a success in their position. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts the job outlook for Medical Coders will increase by 13% from 2016 to 2026. *www.bls.gov
Gainful Employment Disclosures
For information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed this program and other important information, please click on a campus below to see our Gainful Employment Disclosure.