What Military Education Benefits are Available at Delta Tech?
Students who are enlisted in or are veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces may be eligible for education benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs to assist them in paying for their education. The Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) is available for those who have enlisted in the U.S. Armed Forces. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® is available for veteran students.
What is the Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB)?
Those who qualify for the MGIB program will receive reimbursement for tuition, fees and other associated educational costs, and could also be eligible for additional benefits for housing and other training-related items.
There are two main MGIB programs (via U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs):
- Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD) Active duty members who enroll and pay $100/month for 12 months and have completed a minimum service obligation are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit.
- Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) For Reservists with a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserve who are actively drilling.
Does Delta Tech Participate in the Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB)?
Delta Technical College is proud to participate and offer active duty and veterans financial aid through the Montgomery GI Bill® program via the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Current active duty and veteran members of the United States military may be eligible for benefits through the Montgomery G.I. Bill (MGIB) at any of Delta Tech’s campus locations*, including those in Mississippi – other eligible schools include Illinois and Missouri campuses of Delta Tech’s sister school, Midwest Technical Institute.
*Delta Technical College – or Midwest Technical Institute – campuses will not be eligible for GI Bill® benefits during the first two years of operation. For more information on campus eligibility and benefit possibilities, contact your nearest Delta Tech or MTI campus location today.
Which Delta Tech programs and courses are supported by the Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB)?
The program awards benefits to qualifying students for any of Delta Tech’s mechanical trade or allied health courses and programs under the following criteria:
- Under Chapter 30, students are entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation.
- Under Chapter 1606, a reservist must be actively drilling and have a 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.
- Effective October 1, 2011 veteran students may also be eligible to receive Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits.
- The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.
Some students may also be eligible for other veterans affairs benefits and programs including, but not limited to:
- The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)
- Dependents’ Educational Assistance
- Survivors’ Education Assistance
- Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
For more information on Veterans Affairs education benefits and programs, or to find out which benefits you may be eligible to receive, contact your local Veterans Affairs Center, or visit: http://va.gov.
Additionally, those interested in receiving more information about this or other veterans’ assistance services benefits and programs can contact their local Delta Tech campus.