3rd Annual High School Welding Competition
Delta Technical College is proud to present our 3rd Annual High School Welding Competition. Each of our campuses will offer separate competitions for eligible High Schools and Career/Vocational Schools.
The competition is a great learning experience for all students involved. This will give your students a chance to see how their skills compare to other students in the area.
Friends and family are more than welcome to attend to the competition. This is a great opportunity for you and your students to come see the shop and compete against other schools. Seniors and juniors only are allowed to compete and we ask each school to bring a maximum of 5 students.
- #1 $500 Billy Russell Magee High School
- #2 $250 LaDarius Harris Winona
- #3 $100 Shawn James Ethel
- #4 Justin Hovas Winona
- #5 Jay Ramage KACTC
- #6 J.B. Baskin Winona
- #7 Jeremy Costilow KACTC
- #8 Deshawn Dotson Ethel
- #9 Matthew Pittma Winona
- #10 Austin Kiddy KACTC
- #1 $500 Nick Hudson South Panola
- #2 $250 Scott Taylor South Panola
- #3 $100 Kholton Helmes South Panola
- #4 Garner Barbee South Panola
- #5 Chad Thompson Horn Lake
- #6 Joshua Crouch Charleston
- #7 Dalton Farmer Charleston
- #8 Rigel Quinn Madison Palmer
- #9 Qymyrys Warren Kingsbury
- #10 Bladimer Velazquez Arlington
- First place-$500
- Second place-$250
- Third place-$100
- Top 10 winners will receive medals
- Flight A competitors should practice welding out of position (uphill, horizontal, and flat) using 6010 rod or equivalent as well as MIG and TIG process welding.
- Flight B competitors should practice welding out of position (uphill, horizontal, and flat) using 7018 rod or equivalent.
- A written exam will also be given to Flight B students. In preparation for the written exam, students should be familiar with basic welding knowledge.
Come TRY! the VRTEX 360® Virtual Welding Trainer
- 7:00 am-8:00 am Breakfast (provided) and registration
- 8:00 am-9:00 am Introduction of welding staff and written exam
- 9:00 am-11:00 am Students will be assigned booths and begin welding
- 11:00 am-11:45 am Lunch (provided)
- 11:45 am-12:00 pm Instructors will grade projects
- 12:00 pm-12:30 pm Presentation of awards and pictures
Please register soon!
Please remind your students that friends and family are more than welcome to attend the competition. This is a great opportunity for you and your students to come see our facilities and see how your students compare to other schools. Seniors and juniors only are allowed to compete and we ask each school to bring a maximum of 5 students. You can register anytime by contacting Eric Gleason at email As this competition continues to grow so does the amount of schools attending. Registration deadline is February 20, 2014. Please register early to reserve welding booths for your students at your preferred campus. If entry at one campus is closed, you may still be able to attend at an alternate campus. Thanks for giving Delta Tech the opportunity to show your students some of what welding has to offer. I look forward to seeing everyone!
Midwest Technical Institute