Montgomery G.I. Bill & VA Benefits

gi bill
Students who are enlisted in or veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces may be eligible for education benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs to assist them in paying for their education.

The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available for those who have enlisted in the U.S. Armed Forces. Under Chapter 30, students are entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. Under Chapter 1606, a reservist must be actively drilling and have a 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.

Effective October 1, 2011 veteran students may also be eligible to receive Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits. The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.





How much money will I get under the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill reimburses your tuition & fees to your school and makes housing and other payments directly to you.

Your school will receive a percentage, as determined by your length of active duty service, of the following: 

    1.  For resident students at a public Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) all tuition & fee payments are reimbursed.
    2.  For private and foreign IHLs tuition & fee reimbursement is capped at $17,500 per academic year.
    3.  For students whose tuition & fees exceed $17,500 per academic year who are attending a private IHL in AZ, MI, NH, NY, PA, SC or TX and have been enrolled in the same program since January 4, 2011 schools will be reimbursed either the actual cost of the program or the maximum in-state tuition & fee reimbursement rate for the 2010-2011school year, whichever is greater.
    4.  For reimbursement information for on-the job or apprenticeship programs click here
    5.  For reimbursement information for vocational flight training programs click here

If you are attending a public IHL as a non-resident student or a private IHL that is more expensive than the $17,500 cap you may be eligible for extra payment under the Yellow Ribbon program. 

Some students may also be eligible to receive other VA benefits including but not limited to;

  • The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance
  • Survivors’ Education Assistance
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

For more information on VA education benefits or to find out which benefit you may be eligible for contact your local Veterans Center or visit the Veterans Affairs website as

*New campuses of Midwest Technical Institute will not be eligible for GI Bill benefits during the first two years of operation. Contact the campus you wish to attend to find out if you will be eligible to use your benefits there.

You are here: Montgomery G.I. Bill